Monday, December 1, 2008

Unlock the iPhone 3G - yes even version 2.2!

unlock iphone 3g version 2.2Well I just got myself an all new iPhone 3G about 2 weeks ago. It was an unlocked iPhone 3G which came with a turbo sim and version 2.0. Being the adventurous type, I connected it up to iTunes and upgraded it to version 2.2. Now it has been rendered totally useless and version 2.2 overwrites the baseband software and locks the iPhone. I still am to figure out how to unlock this baby. But while I was looking for ideas, I did come across this story on CNET on how the iPhone 3G can be unlocked.

The author reports that a certain shop in Hanoi, Vietnam offers this service for a surprisingly low price of $80. I would be willing to part with $80 just to get my iPhone 3G fixed as I spent $800 on it in the first place. But illegal or not, Apple's idiosyncratic policy has in a weird way given this bright man an opportunity to do more than just make a living. He's proven that we really can be the master of our tools, not vice versa. I certainly hope that there would be others who would find ways to unlock the iPhone 3G as well.

You can read the entire story here.

0 comments: